Meditation can be done for a variety of reasons:
- Relaxing the body.
- Calming or emptying the mind.
- Hearing your intuitive voice.
- Tapping into wisdom and insight.
- Experiencing a different realm or dimension.
- Being in touch with your true self — that eternal, watching self or pure consciousness.
The most beneficial reason for me is the last one, to realize who I really am — the pure consciousness that is free of pain and fear. This state of being allows me to feel at one with the universe, and it opens the portals to intuition and wisdom, inviting insight from another dimension.
Here are the 7 steps I take to connect to pure consciousness:
- Focus on my breath. This makes me focus on one thing instead of allowing my mind to roam about.
- Relax my eyelids and resting my eyes on a distant point of reference. When the eyes are still, the brain is still.
- Allow thoughts to come and go as they please, while focusing on the emptiness between thoughts. What you focus on expands and becomes your reality.
- Watch what is going on.
- Watch the watcher. This takes me deeper and closer to the true me.
- Slowly expand the second watcher to include everything in the universe and infinity itself.
- Enjoy becoming one with All That Is. This is my true self.
Remember to take as much or as little time as you need. You will find that you can settle into each step faster if you do this consistently. The first few steps can be skipped if you can easily focus and become the quiet watcher. If the watcher is still restlessly thinking, it isn’t the watcher but the watched.
What are your reasons for meditating? How do you benefit from meditation?
Check out my book The Power of Zero Expectations: 7 Steps to Freedom from Disappointment on Amazon.